Open Call for Thematic Service Providers
Applications are now being accepted for integrating thematic digital research service providers into EOSC-Pillar. The project invites applications from institutions to submit and bring new thematic services to enhance the portfolio of EOSC-Pillar and EOSC. This offers a unique opportunity to connect with EOSC and to take part in the exciting EOSC-Pillar project. Selected service providers will be offered free to use storage and computing resources, e.g. HPC and data storage for archiving provided for by the EOSC-Pillar partners. Successful applicants will also receive valuable support in integrating their service(s) into the national catalogues, and eventually the service catalogue of the European Open Science Cloud (EOSC).
Scope of the Call
The Call for EOSC-Pillar new thematic services is intended for projects that:
- Are already developed and demonstrated to be working at scale on existing computational/data/connectivity and other infrastructures (e.g. private, national, European or public clouds/grids/HTC/HPC/network resources) that would become part of EOSC.
- Have a strong and well defined scientific challenge addressed by the use of e-infrastructure (e.g. an explicit data analysis challenge or supporting the operation of a Virtual Research Environment, or the dissemination and sharing of data and other research outputs) that will show the scientific excellence and societal impact that could be achieved by EOSC.
- Provide data integration, management, interoperability and analyses tools that will drive the specification and development of services within the EOSC ecosystem that also support open science.
- Are supported by mature research infrastructures and/or research organisations at a European or national level.
- Are committed to publishing or consuming third-party research artefacts (e.g. publications, datasets, tools, workflows) as part of the Open Science model with the application of FAIR principles, and also as part of the Open Research Data Pilot in H2020.
- Are feasible to be completely integrated/federated within the time-frame available to carry out the work plan (12 months).
- Contribute to achieving a broad range of stakeholders with maximum coverage of different types of research and varieties of types of data, strengthening the consortium.
- Are ready to be developed with the support granted from EOSC-Pillar experts during the Hackathon event in June 2021 and consume the available resource provisioning such as data storage and/or compute HPC/HTC resources offered from current EOSCPillar partners.
- The call for proposals opened on 18 December 2020 and closed on 28 February 2021.
- The awarded applicants were notified in April 2021.
- Successful applicants were invited to attend a workshop in June 2021, where one-on-one support was given to each Service Providers by experts affiliated with the EOSC-Pillar project.
- The selected services started in July 2021.